Magic 2013 Duels of the Planeswalkers - My Favorite Deck
Just the other day on Twitter, @formerruling requested that I "do some deck guides so we can see what ya run". Well Anthony, I'm still in the process of working on unlocking all of the extra cards for the Magic 2014 release of the game, so I don't have any fully completed decks yet. So I will take this opportunity to show you my top deck from the Magic 2013 Duels of the Planeswalkers for iPad.
You can also follow me on Twitter - @mtghelper
|Reader Request For Deck Guides|
My Top Magic 2013 Deck - Grim Procession
I absolutely love the versatility, speed, and harassing nature of the Grim Procession deck, which was added in the last deck expansion pack for Magic 2013. The combination of flying creatures, lifelink, creature removal, and creatures that return to the board more than once was perfect for the aggressive style of play I prefer. There are also plenty of opportunities for trickery and surprises, which I also really enjoy.
63 Cards - Yes, I was still trying to find 2-3 more cards to remove from this deck to slim it down to the recommended minimum 60 card deck for constructed decks. I love each and every one of these creatures, so I was still working on tweaking which ones to remove when Magic 2014 released.
- 11 Swamp
- 11 Plains
- 4 Terramorphic Expanse
- 3 Doomed Traveller
- 2 Mourning Thrull
- 2 Orzhov Guildmage
- 2 Restless Apparition
- 2 Vampire Nighthawk
- 3 Bloodhunter Bat
- 2 Falkenrath Noble
- 1 Ghost Council of Orzhova
- 1 Keening Banshee
- 2 Voracious Hatchling
- 1 Angel of Flight Alabaster
- 2 Bloodgift Demon
- 1 Deathbringer Liege
- 1 Divinity of Pride
- 1 Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
- 2 Zealous Persecution
- 4 Pillory of the Sleepless
- 4 Unmake
- 1 Vindicate
- Stillmoon Cavalier - While pretty nice and very versatile, I'm not going to run this in my deck because I only have the 2 Zealous Persecution to remove the Stillmoon Cavalier should it be controlled by an opponent. And given the popularity of the Jace Milling decks, I saw plenty of Control Magic and Clone, as well as Rise from the Grave in black decks. And I definately do NOT want a Stillmoon Cavalier to appear on my opponents side because it can really hurt this deck, so I left it out of mine.
- Damnation - With this deck, I am the aggressor. I come out too fast and too strong for Damnation to be very useful. It usually just sat in my hand and never got cast.
- Any of the 6+ converted casting cost cards - These are just far too large of a cost for the speed of the deck I was after. My goal was to have you already dead or very near death before these would even be cast and useful.
Which 3 cards would you remove from this Grim Procession deck in order to get it down to the 60 card deck minimum without sacrificing synergy or speed?
**********Check out The Magic the Gathering Store on Amazon where you can find boosters packs, individual cards, playmats, deck protectors, life counters, Magic clothing, and more!